Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A trip to the grocery store

This morning Jackson and I took our weekly (and sometimes bi-weekly) trip to the grocery store.  As usual, he greeted each person as we passed them in the shopping cart, and consistently asked to "Hold it!" after putting each item in the cart.  We received many return greetings, grins, and sometimes full conversations.  
This morning, he decided to start a "conversation" with another woman- who by her appearance, looked about my age and most likely had children of her own. She became very interested in conversing with Jackson and as he babbled on in his 2-year-old jibberish, she followed right along with him.
"Oh Playdoh?", she asked.  "You made a duck?"..."Wow!"...and so on.
Completely shocked and amazed that she could decipher most of what he was saying, I commented jokingly, "Oh, you must be a mom of small children to understand what he is saying!"
She replied, "Yes, that and I'm a speech therapist".
We ended up in a short conversation and she asked Jackson how old he was.  When he replied confidently "TWO!", she was amazed at how well he was speaking at his age!

This little encounter left me both encouraged as a mom and proud of my son for his language development.  I know how frustrating it is for him at times, as evidenced by his tantrums, but I have to keep reminding myself how far he has come in the past few months!

No comments:



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com