Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bye Bye Pacifier!

 
I finally decided it was time.  Actually, I decided that a few months ago, but I finally got the courage (thanks to my doctor and Daddy) to just do it.  We have been battling illnesses off/on the past month or so, and I finally got a window of opportunity.  I knew it would be a rough few days without sleep.  And who wants to lose sleep...by choice?! :)

Unlike with Lily, I did not have a set plan.  With her, we used the "paci fairy" and that was it.  We talked about it for weeks ahead of time and it worked great.  With Jackson, I knew it was going to be a tougher transition, so I grabbed onto anything I thought would work! 
The process started with watching the Elmo "Bye Bye Pacifier" video.  We watched that for about a week, and then decided he grasped the idea that he was ready to be a "big boy" and give the pacifiers to babies who needed them...i.e. cousins Charlie and Ethan! :)  So, Monday we gathered up all of the pacifiers into a paper bag and discussed how the "paci fairy" would be coming to get them and take them to Charlie and Ethan.  He also has a couple of buddies from church that he sees regularly, and do not have pacifiers.  I was able to successfully use them as "big boy" examples. :)

That night, there were about 20 minutes of tears, and then he finally settled down.  I went in periodically to check on him and then finally ended up rubbing his back and he fell asleep. 
Tuesday, no tears!  He whined a little just before nap and bed time, but once we read books and he climbed in bed, I just rubbed his back for a few minutes and he was out!

Since we are on day 3, I'm pretty confident we are through the worst of it.  Phew!

Next up, potty-training after the holidays!  Never a dull moment in the Bolinger house! :)

No comments:



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com