Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Back-talking

Well, from the title of this post I'm sure you can tell this is going to be a fun one! ;)

How did we get cursed blessed with not one, but two kids who enjoy back-talking?!  I'm sure my parents know exactly how we received this blessing.  It's called pay-back!  As a child, I was never as physically strong as my older sister, so I learned to use my mouth as a weapon.  I was queen of the "last word" and I remember my dad saying more than once that I should become a lawyer.  I am definitely not proud of this trait, and I'm sure this is where our children get it from.  And this just happens to be at the top of my list for hot buttons.  Again, not a surprise that one of my worst traits is coming back to haunt me.

It seems that the phrase "terrible two" never applied to either of our children.  No...it was "terrible three"!  With both kids, this seems to be our most trying year.  Testing boundaries.  One of those being their language ability catching up to their observation of the world around them.  Learned phrases from television, sibling, and sometimes parents are repeated, in many instances, inopportune times.

For these "inopportune" times, we have what's called "naughty spray". A brilliant idea I received from a good friend of mine who struggled with the same problem.  It's a mixture of vinegar and water.  Not tasty, but also not unsafe to swallow.  I'll give you a little insight into the different ways our children respond to this.  Just the threat of naughty spray for Lily straightened her up.  When we had to give it to her at this age, she would literally go into the biggest dramatic episode worthy of Hollywood.  Threw herself on the floor, uncontrollable tears, begging, pleading....just drama!  And after we sprayed it in her mouth, she would run to the bathroom, arms flailing, and spit it into the sink.  I can count on one hand how many times she has actually received naughty spray.  That just shows how effective it has been for her.
Jackson, however, has to see the spray in my hand to straighten up.  And even then, that is not always the case.  This boy seems to have no fear until action is taking place.  Threats don't scare him.  The first time we gave him the spray, he immediately spit it right out.  As in, onto the carpet in front of him.  This did not go over well with Mom!  So now, he has to swallow it.  That is literally the only way this form of discipline is effective for him.

Jackson has developed more than just verbal back-talk.  He has started spitting (as in blowing bubbles out of his lips)!!  This boy is a real button-pusher, let me tell you!  And no matter how many times he is warned and then disciplined, he continues on.  Stubborn!

Although this is definitely not a fun topic to discuss, I do have to share a funny story....

In the midst of a disagreement with Jackson that involved back-talking, I warned him to keep his mouth shut and just do what I had asked him to do!
Of course, this didn't happen as he just HAD to respond!
As I turned to him, red in the face, he said "But Mom!", to which I responded "What Jackson?!"
He then replied with "But I love you, Mom!"

Oh boy.  As much as he loves to make my blood boil at times, I love him dearly.

No comments:



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com