Monday, April 25, 2011

Germ conscious or germaphobia?

I dropped Lily off at Awana last Wednesday and had forgotten to give her something, so I went back to drop it off at her classroom. When I peeked in, I just happened to notice her sitting by the door to the bathroom (attached to their room) on a chair. At first, I didn't think anything of it. But as time went on, I began to question if she had been sent to time-out? It just seemed odd that while the other kids were playing, she would be sitting in a chair.

So, when I went to pick her up, I asked her teacher, Ms. Kim. Her response surprised me.
"Oh no...Lily has not had a timeout. What she typically does is say "hi" to Mr. Josh (other Awana teacher), get out her Awana book, hang up her stuff, then grab the big bottle of hand sanitizer and sit by the bathroom to sanitize the kids' hands as they come out of the bathroom."

I couldn't help but chuckle at the visual of Lily stopping every child as they exit the bathroom for a mandatory disinfecting before returning to their playtime.

Apparently, I have ingrained in her the need to wash hands/sanitize and I realize this is a good habit to have. But to choose to sanitize over play....I'm not sure how healthy that is :-)

1 comment:

Emily Blair said...

Oh, my goodness! This is hilarious! And a little bit unnerving. ;)



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com